Saturday 18 October 2014

Week 2

Last week poor old Louis lost two groups: Overload Generation (who Mel B brought back and actually completely skipped Judges' Houses!) and Blonde Electra who I had been calling Blonde Electric. Not that that made any difference. The two girls performance was not the worst but they did get the lowest votes so didn't even make the sing-off.

The bottom three had included Stephanie Nala who really had been off and deserved to be there. I kinda reckoned that they'd find a way to keep her and, sure enough, the group was sent home leaving Stephanie looking very relieved and Louis two down in one week.

Another two go this week. It's I Love The 80s week which few of them actually ever experienced but never mind - the tracks are pretty simple.

Jack kicks off with Straight Up from an old colleague of Simon's on the American idol judging panel, Paula Abdul. He makes a predictable but good job of this. he's a good performer and comes across with a lot of confidence and a bit of style. Obviously it all depends on what the others come up with but thatw as a good start and I'd expect him to stay with that standard. Something was missing but it'll still take some good work from others to put him in the bottom three.

Stephanie looks fabulous and is interesting - she just need to get the notes right, or sing in the right key and she'll win lots of support back. Call Me she does pretty well - and gets the notes right and adds a strange and slightluy hypnotic dance move to the performance. Not brilliant but not bad either. She's a likeable girl and could be a little pop star. I just don't see her being let go by the producers just yet. So she may be in the bottom three but will survive.

Cheryl's dress is weird. Probably expensive but with some pointless parts.

Mel brings on Andrea next. he is by a long long way the favourite to be this year's winner. The bookies could well be right although it is very early and he may get boring. He has a massive Whitney Houston song to sing and, of course, he'll do a fabulous job of the notes and stuff. The words? Well. One Moment In Time has been overdone on this programme over the years. I was not impressed with his mangling of some of the lyrics and watching him was not that pleasant and this week I felt the notes weren't that great either. I see a chink in his armour and maybe that will allow someone else to pip him to the winning post in several weeks' time. for now, I guess he'll be pretty safe, regardless.

Two potential competitors for the prize are coming next: Lauren and Ben. Lauren seems to be the best of the girls while Stephanie struggles to find a comfort zone and Chloe excludes quite a chunk of people for all the wrong reasons but that's life. Ben is the best of the Oldies and doesn't actually seem very old at all either. he should be in his element in the 80s.

What A Feeling was Irene Cara's. Now it's Lauren Platt's. That was excellent. Far far and away the best so far and that will take a lot of beating. Very very good and all that was missing was the dancing which I was so much waiting for her to do but it stayed slow. That's all I would change but well done Cheryl for choosing that.

Ben isn't on top form - some sort of throat problem. His track is John Lennon's Jealous Guy and I would have expected that to be fabulous but it was just average. It seemed as though he was holding back and hoping to drift through to next week. He should do but that wasn't so good this week. OK. Just OK. What you do when you're not in good shape I suppose.

Another of Simon's Over 25s that I like and I would hope to see do well is Fleur. She shows more flesh than all of the others put together but that's not unattractive and she has the ability to put on a professional-looking performance and it stays pretty classy despite the clothing or lack of it. It's A Shame was pretty boring. The rapping in the middle sort of helped a bit and reminded me of a later version but it wasn't that interesting and just seemed to go on. She got great reviews but I wonder whether the public get her. She doesn't deserve it but I wonder if she might not drop into a public bottom three? Hope not.

Stereo Kicks are eight guys who may each be good singers but they're completely lost individually. I don't see them doing as well as the bookies say. The Boys Of Summer is a classic and the public will like that. It was damn good and worked really well for all of them. Good choice, Louis. They looked as if they were enjoying themselves too and that always counts for a lot. Cheryl doesn't sense hysteria and has a fair point about that, no matter how good they are. They should stay.

So choices are getting difficult. At present I can't call it in terms of who's going. We may be in for two shocks and it's only Week 2.

Lola has Imagine, the second John Lennon song of the evening. A very good make-over has her looking excellent but the singing hasn't improved, with annoying gestures and phrasing and sometimes she seemed to be shouting a little and the whole thing just lacked the class to match her clothes and make-up. Pity but she was not on Cheryl's Top 3 choice list and could be vulnerable tonight. First one I've thought that about, assuming that Steph gets 'saved'.

Mel B has returned to her annoying style of talking and can be tedious to listen to. A lot of what she says is fair comment but the accent gets on my nerves. She introduces Jake who sings A Total Eclipse Of The Heart. Nice choice and he does a pretty good job of it too. Not easy but it shows him in a good light. That was a lot better than Ben, with whom many will compare him and so represents his main competition for votes. Nice job. I was prepared to say he'd be at risk but now I've changed my mind and say he's safe.

Chloe is one who is excellent but I don't know where she fits in to this competition and I do worry about how she will go down with the public. Fame isn't something I would have dreamt of her doing but let's see. Stunning set and big links to Marilyn Monroe visually. This was a slow boil version of the song with a dark feel to it. I liked it but I am not sure how many others will. There are times when her voice isn't quite right and she does miss notes. That may put her in the danger zone.

Paul is the last of the 'boys' (although I swear he looks over 25!). He is the least 'screen friendly' but is as talented as most. He needs to come out with something a bit special to keep surviving. The makeover people have actually done a huge amount for him and he was looking very smart and with a very cool performance of If You Don't Know Me By Now he really does well. He'll be safe. It got a bit boring and didn't take off as a performance but that was pretty good none the less. One of the best of the night.

Chloe, Lola, Ben are, in my view only, the ones oscillating around that bottom three at present. There are three acts to come: Only The Young (who I really want to do well and not change that list) Jay James (who ought to stay) and Stevi (who really needs to go home, whatever he does tonight).

80s Night is worryingly Stevi Ritchie-like. This is worse than Stars On 45. He does a Rick Astley. Badly. I can only grimace at that performance. Please send him home folks. I fear that the public see him as a comedy act and are voting for him.

Only The Young get Come On Eileen from Louis. I'm not sure that was a great idea. They make a damn good go at it and deserve huge respect for taking this on. It was cheerful and bright and they're very talented and together. I so hope they stay in. My favourite act but that was not my favourite performance. I so much wish they don't suffer at Louis' hands.

Jay finishes the programme with a surprising version of 500 Miles. Remarkable. The Proclaimers in English. This will either work or it won't! Wow. that worked all right. Yes, it really did. Well done and all credit to the team putting that on stage. he is definitely safe and that could be a further problem for the other guys.

I really have no idea who'll go this week. It ought to be Steph or Stevi but it won't be either. I worry about the three I've mentioned already. All will be revealed soon enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment