Saturday 12 November 2016

Dull old Disco from most of the Top 7

Disco night. That'll suit some more than others. I don't see Sam or Emily as Disco girls in their natural performance style and yet it could be refreshing to see them coming alive. I just hope that it isn't just 70s Disco which was annoying at times.

Cue Sister Sledge. Good grief. They're either very brave or need the money. I guess they couldn't get all the Bee Gees. That's still an improvement on the compulsory sing-and-dance thing that they get the contestants to do.

From here on there is no saving of one of the Bottom Three. So whoever comes 6th and 7th in the public vote will have to sing again. We don't yet know whether Ryan was 6th, 7th or 8th but he may have been 8th but got rescued, dropping a possible 6th place 4D out of the competition. Having said that, it might have reflected the actual votes. We'll see later.

Saara starts on a podium in silver wear and looking decidedly odd. Enough Is Enough is brilliantly sung and performed. This girl is very, very good. You can rely upon her to hit exactly the notes you want and just a few days rehearsal produce a genuinely first class show. I was very impressed with that. A cover, yes, but a fabulous one at that. She deserves a deal from someone. Whatever the outcome in this competition, she is such a fine performer who needs to be snapped up by Andrew Lloyd Webber or someone.

1

I hope Finland don't choose her for Eurovision.

A strange group of dancers with huge judge-image heads dance behind Dermot as he tries to get us to concentrate on what is coming next.

Sam is singing I Will Survive. That has to be the ultimate 70s tedium disco song. Simon has obviously decided to emphasise her only being 17. It is still an old woman's song now, though. It could appeal to the voters. I don't know. She sings really well but it loses its disco beat completely. Not a bad thing necessarily but she may need some luck to carry on. I like her a lot and still thing she'd make a deserving winner but I am not sure that will work for her.

2

Ryan does Play That Funky Music White Boy which sounds like Stevie Wonder's Very Superstitious for a while. I don't like either song anyway and that didn't do anything for me. He did it well but it just seemed a bit strange. I have no idea where he'll finish up with that.

6

5AM really should be in their element. They're a dance group, they sing up tempo stuff and this ought to be a very smooth run through to the Top 6 for them. They could do a Stylistics number or something by Michael Jackson. Yes, Boogie Wonderland is about as 70s Disco as it gets. I am thinking Earth Wind & Fire but I'm not sure. It is one of those classics that you just hear without bothering about who sung it. They do a good karaoke version which is all you can expect o really need I suppose.

For all that, it just seemed a bit flat and predictable to me. The audience liked it so I reckon it probably went down better on stage than on the small screen. That is by far the best audience reaction for anything for a long time.

I'll put them above Ryan but I preferred Sam and Saara even if the audience had them at #1.

4

Matt has not yet opened or closed a show I don't think. I am pretty sure Honey G and Emily have, though, so one of them will get a second bit of advantage this week. I guess Matt has been coming top of the polls so far and so the producers don't think he'll suffer. I also don't see him getting a standing ovation for a 70s Disco number.

He starts outside. Well, Little Mix did that and got to No. 1 that week so maybe it's not as odd as it seems. I think the track was You Got The Best Of My Love. So he got to show off some fine falsetto and it all went to plan. Lots of applause for a difficult song to sing. It was OK. Nothing spectacular.

5

With Emily next, Honey G gets the pimp slot. Emily is another that could struggle with a disco number or do something remarkable with it. She has had several memorable performances so far this series and you could make a nice album from her tracks alone that would sell very well.

Wishing On A Star starts a little nervously which is not like her. You sort of hope it'll speed up quickly so she doesn't get int more trouble. The beat sets in but it is quite slow and that makes it a bit dull. In fact, that was dire. Very disappointing. She could well hit the Bottom Two with that, which will be bad news for whoever she shares the sing-off with. No. Not good.

7

Honey G puts on yet another impressively grand performance, based on Staying Alive  although only the backing singers sing that. She raps away in her own way and that was pretty damn professional. Not my sort of enjoyment but she'll get plenty of votes I think. She gives it 100% as Simon pointed out and I do wonder now that she might do really well. As a track that was pretty much rubbish and I will forget it by next week but I suspect she will get through easily to the Top 6.

3

So I see Saara, Sam and Honey G flying through.

5Am and Matt should be safe with a bit of luck.

Ryan and Emily are in trouble. Well, Ryan is.

No comments:

Post a Comment