Saturday 19 November 2016

Some classy performances from the Top 6.

Movie Night. Basically that means  someone will choose a song and then do a quick search to find out which film it might have been played in.

Ryan starts the show. He's chosen Jailhouse Rock. Now that's a good song. He has the right voice for this and it's a great cover. That is all, though, however good, it doesn't show much of Ryan other than that he can sing an Elvis number pretty damn well. Full marks for the performance. It ought to go down well.

Louis is complimentary but says that Matt is better. I am not so sure that Ryan hasn't closed the gap on the lead. Simon agrees that that was his best performance. He looked better tonight and that should even things out a bit. Simon wonders what the real reason is for Louis' preference for Matt. That was a bit naughty. Has anything been published that I've missed?

5

5AM

The Commitments Try A Little Tenderness is another great classic and it suits them nicely. They add some rap to it which works and brings it away from a cover and firmly into 2016 possible chart territory. That's quite interesting. They get a bit overtaken by the backing at times but that should see them through. I would find it hard to choose between them and Ryan this week. Add their performance talent and rave reviews and I'll have to put them above Ryan.

4

Saara

She is doing the Titanic classic. My Heart Will Go On. A fabulous purity in her voice and the notes are just so good, every time. This was a marvellous version and really well-staged by whoever does that sort of thing. I would say that Saara Aalto is the best singer that has been on the whole series. It's not chart stuff and is, like Ryan's performance, a cover but, my goodness she is so good. I actually don't mind about the chart thing. I would like her to stay and hopefully the producers can spend a bit of their budget to bring her family over from Finland for the next few weeks too. Whilst she is definitely the best singer this year, and I would like her to make the Final Four, I do feel that would be about as far as she needs to go. Her career is not as a chart act.

3

Matt

He is doing Writing On The Wall which was one of the less inspiring Bond film themes. Sam Smith made it particularly boring. Matt looks the part for sure - very well-presented. And he really does make a good job of the song. In fact I would say that was considerably better than the original. Well done. He matches Saara in many respects, talent-wise. After a poor week last week that should take him through to the Top Five easily. Excellent.

2

Honey G

I don't know what you think but I've had enough of the Honey G thing now. From what I gather she is genuinely hard-working and believes so much in what she does but I just look and listen and think No, that's not what I want to see winning and being all over the radio waves this Christmas.

Basically, whatever she sings, raps or delivers, it's time to go. At the moment, the most likely end is a sing-off between her and Ryan and I do hope that the judges use the opportunity to move her out.

I presume that was Gettin' Jiggy With It and maybe a few other numbers thrown in. It was OK. Good production and confidence abounding. The crowd likes her. It did repeat a bit though.

6

Emily

Quite a good set of tracks this evening that will make it difficult to predict. So Emily needs to keep up the very high standard to avoid an early drop-out a la Ella Henderson.

It Must Have Been Love is a risky choice. She slows it right down and stamps her style firmly on this. It works but will the public like it? You are watching and hoping she'll just let go a bit but she stays in reserved, restrained mood throughout. Very nice. I hope so much that she gets support and gets through.

I don't know where to rank her. In some ways I preferred Matt and Saara but that was possibly the one most likely to hit the top of the charts.

1


No comments:

Post a Comment